Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Domestic Violence, Abuse: Do you feel alone and trapped?

I remember the day a good friend/neighbor sat me down and said:  "Admit it, Penne.""Admit what?"  I said.

He paused, leaned forward, held my hands and said:  "Be honest with yourself.  YOU ARE AN ABUSED WOMAN."

This, of course, was the truth.  I was humiliated, embarrassed that the man I loved so much could be charming on one day and abusive the next. Then the panic: how would I support our two children?  Where would I go?  Would he find me and inflict more violence?

My friend held my hands.  "For now Penne, you need to accept your parents offer to stay with them. Or, if you prefer, I can help you find a shelter where you will be safe."

He was right.  I had to get away.  And I had to tell my children the truth.

It was the best advice a loving friend could give.  Know that YOU ARE NOT ALONE.  According to the domestic violencePlease contact your local Domestic Violence Shelter or call the National Domestic Violence Hotline @ 1-800-799-SAFE.

No comments:

Post a Comment